The Bluegrass State Games is a non-profit program sponsored privately to promote amateur athletics across the Commonwealth. It is the signature event of the Bluegrass Sports Commission, designed to provide Kentuckians of all ages and skill levels a wholesome avenue for positive development through sports and physical activity, to promote and develop amateur athletics and to provide the amateur athlete an opportunity to showcase their talent and receive statewide recognition.
Bluegrass State Games is a member of the National Congress of State Games which is a member of the United States Olympic Committee.
- Largest participation of any amateur sporting event in the state, more than 16,000 participants in 2011 and continues to be one of the longest running events of its kind in the United States.
- 30+ different sports offered.
- High percentage of participants are in multiple tournaments and competitions throughout the state annually. They like to travel!
- Sports events are held in Fayette, Woodford, Scott, Clark, Madison and Franklin Counties.
- The Games bring together Kentuckians from around the Commonwealth each year to compete in many different sports and activities.
- The Games have been a mainstay of Kentucky’s culture since its inception, but it is now being re-energized. Our corporate and media partnership program is the main element of that rejuvenation.